Our focus on Early Childhood Literacy helps create the foundation for a lifetime of learning. By partnering with the Early Learning Hub of Central Oregon, health care providers, local libraries, and parents, children gain access to age appropriate books. We inspire parents to read to their children more and make reading fun through our local Reach Out and Read, and Read It! Read It! programs.
READ IT! READ IT!
Provides a fun and unique opportunity for parents and children to experience our local libraries. Children that received a bookmark (coupon) through the Reach Out and Read program visit the local Public Libraries to redeem the bookmark for an additional free book! While they are there parents learn about the many services provided at the library from checking out books, to story time, to pre-school parades.
The local libraries also develop an early literacy electronic newsletter sending it out to care providers and parents so they can learn home activities to increase their child’s vocabulary, encourage print motivation and awareness, and develop phonological skills.
Program Goals for Read It! Read It! include:
- Building the capacity of adults to read with children;
- Increasing the frequency with which adults read to children at home or in child care settings;
- Increasing the amount of time adults spend reading with children at home or in child care settings;
- Increasing access to books in the home;
- Increasing access to and use of libraries; and/or
- Increasing access to native language reading materials for children who speak a language other than English.
REACH OUT AND READ
The Reach Out and Read Central Oregon pilot project is an initiative of the Early Learning HUB of Central Oregon and supported by the United Way of Deschutes County. Together we are working with community partners to help expand and sustain these local programs, including additional outreach to La Pine, inclusion of regional school-based health clinics, and St Charles Medical Services in Bend, Madras and Prineville.
Reach Out and Read helps prepare America's youngest children to succeed in school by partnering with doctors to prescribe books and encourage families to read together.
The program begins at the 6-month checkup and continues through age 6, with a special emphasis on children in low-income households. Doctors incorporate Reach Out and Read's evidence-based model into regular pediatric checkups, by advising parents about the importance of reading aloud with their child and giving developmentally-appropriate books to children.
The books that are given also contain a bookmark (coupon) that can be redeemed at local Public Libraries for an additional free book through the Read It! Read It! program. Redeemable bookmarks are also given out by local social service agencies such as WIC and Healthy Beginnings.
Families served by Reach Out and Read read together more often, and their children enter kindergarten with larger vocabularies, stronger language skills, and are better prepared to achieve their potential.
Currently, there are eight Reach Out and Read locations across Central Oregon
- Central Oregon Pediatric Associates ( Bend and Redmond)
- Mosaic Medical (Bend, Prineville, Redmond and Madras)
- St Charles Health Providers (Redmond)
- Warm Springs Health and Wellness Center (Warm Springs)
HOW CAN I HELP?
- Take time to read with your child, even if they are too young to understand the story yet.
- Encourage others to read with children too.
- Help support Early Childhood Literacy programs through United Way of Deschutes County.